- 2 adult skunks; skinn, debone & shred
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 cups celery; finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley; finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic; finely minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 carrots; chopped
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 tbsp. cognac
- 1 lb. ripe red tomatoes; peeled, seeded & chopped
- Salt; to taste
- freshly ground black pepper; to taste
- juice of half-lemon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 cup Madeira wine
(A sensory entree, not recommended for the weak-stomached)
* Save scent sacs and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large skillet, brown skunk well in oil and butter; add carrots and stir until lightly browned. Sprinkle with flour. Add broth as needed when mixture starts to brown.
Stir to dissolve brown particles. Add remaining broth, red wine, cognac, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
Place in oven, cover and bake three hours.
Strain gravy, pressing as much of cooked vegetable mixture as possible through sieve. Bring strained mixture to boil. Add lemon juice, nutmeg, Madeira.
Carefully puncture scent sacs and add fluids to mixture. Simmer five minutes.
Pour sauce over skunk.
Yield: 8 Servings