- 2 lb meat (venison, buffalo, elk, etc.)
- 1 tbsp. juniper berries; crushed
- 1 tbsp. black peppercorns
- 3 garlic cloves; coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine
- 2 to 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups celery; cut into 1-in diagonals
- 6-8 small boiling onions; peeled
- 1-2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup salt and pepper
Cut venison into chunks and marinate venison in buttermilk to clean taste and tenderize the meat.
Wash buttemilk off the venison. Mix the meat, juniper berries, peppercorns and garlic. Add 1 cup of the red wine. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours, or overnight.
Drain off the marinade and save. Heat the olive oil in your pot and brown the venison. Add the celery and onions. Add all the red wine and 3/4 cup beef stock.
Cover and bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 45 minutes, or until tender, adding the remaining beef stock during baking if necessary.
Remove from the oven. Season with salt and pepper and serve.